Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tomato Sauce: A Journey

I spent the summer growing tomatoes. I have no idea why a person who doesn't like tomatoes much would grow 4, count 'em, 4 tomato plants, but there I was. I convinced myself that they're better from the garden and they are, but they're still not entirely edible... So anyway, I ended up saucing a lot of these babies and leaving them on coworkers desks. These are the last of the batch.


Why yes, they are sitting on the kitchen floor, what of it?




I made the sauce very simply. I sauteed a little garlic in a pot. Okay a lot, like, we're out of garlic now. No worries about vampires for sure. I diced all the tomatoes, threw them in a pot and let them cook down. At this point I realized that AJ has NO spices so I let it all cool down and threw it in the freezer for the next weekend. Flash forward a week and I'm back in the suburbs with my tomato sauce. I brought my own spices and added some basil, oregano and sugar to the tomato garlic mixture and let that simmer for a long time. I knew we were going to use this for pizza, so I really let it cook down and and thicken up. That was that. I've got some homemade pizza to blog about next!

No comments:

Post a Comment